Money Talk | Changing your relationship with money

 Money is always a hot topic of conversation. It literally makes the world go round. I’ve just gotten to a place where money no longer ruled my day. my mindset. My mood. My ENTIRE MOOD! So let’s talk about it. 

I began changing my relationship with money at age 30. I was tired of being broke, tired of borrowing and tired of being denied. I began tweaking how I moved when it came to my finances in an effort to find stability. At the beginning of my journey I was not budgeting. I didn’t know what a sinking fund was. I had simply learned to say no to myself and others. My credit was still horrible but I was no longer being a lender to those around me or a borrower. In order to give myself a chance at success I had to do it. 

As you can see the beginning of my financial journey wasn’t structured at all. I was at stage one. Ground zero. Admitting that I needed to change and beginning to figure out what areas I was doing ok in and where I needed to completely revamp because they weren’t working... At all.

The Mindset Change

Let’s see. I started learning more about money at age 33. Y’all that was 2 years ago. I’m a YouTube creator but I am a certified YouTube consumer. It’s life 101. There isn’t anything that you can’t find out how to do or achieve on the platform. Well I learned 1 How toxic my relationship was with money and 2 How I could begin to elevate my relationship with money. I leaned the concept of budgeting, sinking funds, savings, investing. Yes you can learn about and begin to implement these concepts without changing your relationship with money but it’s a slippery slope

I didn’t respect my money

I didn’t understand how to make my money grow

I felt that money had to be spent and was unable to just HAVE money

I didn’t know how to NOT be broke. 

I had to change my relationship with money to be successful 

Now I have a savings, investments (outside of work) and can simply just have money in the bank and be ok. 


When I stopped giving my money all the power I learned that I actually could be financially savvy. I too could too have decent credit. I could be the complete opposite of what I thought I would always have to be.


I hope this post has inspired you to evaluate your relationship with money. Are you at stage 1 like my 30 year old self. That’s ok. We have to start somewhere. Are you a little farther in your financial journey and just need some reassurance to keep going. I got you! Let’s do this together sis. 

If you want more information check out the upload 


Comments