Back To School Shopping. Former Couponer Shares Tips


 Summer was..... Interesting but hey, it's back to school season and I'm not mad about it. I can't lie I feel a slight tinge of hateration as my colleagues in various areas have already sent their children back to school. Being a military family means being flexible and this year that means going back to school after Labor Day. 

Since we are in back to school season ( even though some of us are farther in the process than others) I thought I would share with you how I shop for the kiddos. Now If your an ole G you know I used to be a coupon. Never extreme but I had a garage you could shop out of. I don't scour the drug stores anymore but ya girl still has the coupon mindset.

You see I used to go to every store. Walmart, Target, Staples, Office Max... If they sold a pencil I was there. Weekly, I would get what they had on sale that week and while leaving say " see you next week." Yes I saves a few dollars but I wasted a lot of time. I don't have that time anymore. So lets talk about what I do now.

Stick to the list. You know the list. Every year schools tell you what to purchase for your child. I used to never go by the list. It wasn't that I was being a rebel ( which I am by nature). Back to school supply lists are simply hard to come by. I feel they should be posted on the front page of each school and school district. Instead I have to strategically search google or scour the site to find it. I'm not about that life so I would go without. I would find myself getting too much and none of the things the teacher actually needed. The list is long enough so try your best to put the effort in to find it and use it.

Off Season Shopping. Summer is the best time to purchase winter clothes and winter is the best time to purchase all things summer. Dylan ( our 10 year old) recently got a pair of black boots. They were on sale at Marshall's (we will get there next) and dad snagged them. Well that turned into a sad preteen for about a week because he couldn't understand why he couldn't wear his new boots in the middle of summer. This is typically how my children's school shopping goes (for clothing at least). When I see a good deal I pounce and stock up. I squirrel the clothes away in the top of their closet until it's time to pull them out and rotate them into their working wardrobe. Another thing I do is buy clothing that you can layer. I refuse to tuck away all the short sleeved shirts because the weather has gotten cool. Instead I add a flannel button up or a thin jacket and BOOM a whole new look. When I am on a back to school shopping mission I stick to discounted stores such as Marshall's and TJ MAXX. If you can plan your shopping trip around your local NO TAX weekend you are golden. 

Amazon. Hi my name is Renee and I shop all things Amazon. What can I say they have everything. Amazon has become my go to for back to school and here's why. This year Dylan needs 60 pencils, 15 glue sticks and 30 sticky tab dividers. First of all I have no idea what a sticky tab divider is. I'll have to do some research on this. Teachers are trying to get their entire year's supply up front and I don't blame them. Trying to buy in bulk at any other location is going to drive me crazy. Amazon has all the items I need, ample supply, I can browse from my home and I can get more than one offer in one search. My kids do love going " back to school shopping" so I typically will take them to a local store one time during this season. I pick up a few sales items, get a feel for what type of backpack they would like and purchase everything else on Amazon .

Check out the Youtube to see how I incorporated back to school shopping into my off day. 

For Black Art Displayed Back to school essentials check out the etsy shop
 


Comments